Monday, September 19, 2011

McDonalds from a differnt perspective

As I watched the documentary on McDonald’s there were numerous things that surprised me such as the number of customers a day and the amount of food that is processed in a single day. The two main things that caught my eyes was the time each meal takes to be processed and the effort McDonalds is making to produce a healthier diet.

The first thing that surprised me was that they said that even though it’s called fast food each entre has a particular way it can be made and it takes some time. This made me stop and think if each entre takes time to make then how long could your food be sitting in a warming tray before it is served to you? While I was contemplating that question more things began to run through my mind such as how clean are the warming trays, because they could be ridden with diseases. These are some of the main reasons I have tried to cut fast food out of my diet.

Another surprising fact was although McDonalds offer healthier snacks such as apples and milk, it is not enough to counteract the burger or chicken that you get as the main portion. Also, another problem I find is that when you order a kids meal I is the only time they ask you if you would like apples instead of fries. When you order anything from the regular menu it just comes with fires and they don’t even offer you a healthier side. This is where and why I believe that Americans are considered overweight because we are told that McDonalds is getting better food for you but we are not actually eating it.

Even with all of these negative things I just said about McDonalds they are still one of the most profitable companies in America. They are in the process of making there company a worldwide franchise that is the greatest fast food restaurant. Another amazing thing that McDonalds has is that since there foundation in 1940, they have seen only one quarterly loss. This is impressive because that means they are running a fundamentally sound company in which there always a flow of profit into the company which will allow them to keep expanding.    

1 comment:

Hillary White said...

I agree with this person that it was surprising to know that McDonald’s takes a lot of time and effort into their food. You would think that all their food is just processed. That’s what I believed before I watched this video. Another interesting fact that this person brought up was that McDonald’s healthier options doesn’t have a great variety. Would you really want to have apples and milk instead of chicken nuggets and French fries? Another great point that this person brought up is that when you order a kids meal, you don’t get asked if you would prefer French fries or apple slices. They just give you French fries if you don’t ask for apple slices. I think this should be the other way around so you get the healthier option first. I do agree with this person that McDonald’s could be one of the causes of obesity in America.