Monday, December 12, 2011

Course Overview


http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/08/business/smallbusiness/a-business-tries-to-decide-whether-its-location-is-perfect-or-a-disaster.html?_r=1&ref=entrepreneurship

During this course I expanded my knowledge of the business
world in many ways. In high school I didn’t take any classes on the world of
business so I had no clue what it entailed or where to begin. I learned all
about entrepreneurship and what it meant. I learned that entrepreneurship is “A
person that risks time and money to start and own a business”. To expand a business you have to provide even
more goods and services to keep your customers happy. I learned that it’s not
easy to start up your own business because you are either going to fail or
launch your company. You have to deal with revenue and make sure your make
enough profit out of your product so you don’t experience a loss. You must take
risks in order to succeed.


The other thing I learned was that you are going to have
hardships no matter how big of a star you are. When I did my project on Ellen DeGeneres
and Oprah with Alley and Hillary, I learned that even they had their problems. They
had hardships as young teenagers with physical and verbal abuse because of
their appearance and preferences. Both entrepreneurs had to come up with an
idea that everyone was interested and launch their business with the few people
that helped them.


The last thing I learned was the basics of business. I
learned about the business environment and how you have to be in the right
geographical place in order for your business to have so many customers. You
have to keep in mind the legal, technological, competitive, social, and global environment
in mind when launching your start up business. When I interviewed my dad he
said the thing he was most shocked about when starting up a business it the
time and effort you have to put into it. It takes long hours and you have to
love what you do in order to be successful. Going through this course I learned
that I am not interested in starting my own business because that stuff does
not get me exited and I am not interested.


2 comments:

Rich said...

These are valuable things we have learned and i agree with you completely. For one owning your own business definitley is now easy task, I think just about every person we heard about during presentations went through some form of hardship in there life somwhere. Whether it was facing poverty and just some personal problem. I will have to say I cant fit in your shoes with not having any knowledge prior to this course since I have but i definitley learned more.

Hillary White said...

Mine and Trisha’s blog post had a lot in common. I also didn’t take any business related courses in high school and didn’t know much about it until I took this course. This course taught me all about business related topics. I also like how she added in the project we all did. I do agree that both Ellen DeGeneres and Oprah Winfrey did have problems even though they are very success fall and famous now. They had hardships as young teenagers with physical and verbal abuse because of their appearance and preferences. I also agree with Trisha about expanding a business. You have to provide even more goods and services to keep your customers happy. Overall my blog post and Trisha’s blog post had a lot in common and we both seemed to take away from this class on what an entrepreneur is and just about business in general.