Monday, December 12, 2011

What I Learned

One of the most basic concepts that I learned a great deal about this semester was entrepreneurs. When the semester started I knew that a semester was a businessman who started their own business. I learned that the official definition is “a person who risks time and money to start and manage a business.” This has helped me understand more clearly the true work an entrepreneur must perform for their business to be successful. They first have to create a great idea and then market that product to their customers. That is just where it starts because they then need to then manage their company which is where most people fail because they are unable to manage the economic aspect of their business. This has given me some firsthand views of the do’s and don’ts  when starting and managing a business.  One of the best entrepreneurs is Bill Gates and he has made a fast rise to the top because he had a brilliant idea and mind, and was able to manage his money to where he is now one of the richest people in the world.


The second and probably the most important thing I learned from the class was a general understanding of business. This may seem so simple but it should prove very effective in my pursuit of a degree from a business school. I knew a majority of the information that we covered in this class from my high school economics class. As for the new information I was able to combine it with my information my economics class and I believe now I have a strong background in business and we are only getting started.  Many of these basic topics are things such as the types of trades and how to trade. As I said earlier this may seem so basic but I have acquired some more knowledge such as different types of trades and there are certain cultural differences that may seem friendly to Americans, but are offensive to another group of people. I have plans to work within the NFL and if you follow them, they are working on expanding the market into other countries so it will be very important in the future to have employees that have a good understanding to the culture of the people so he can effectively communicate with them. Although this course has not given me enough information to pursue the work force yet, it is a great stepping stone and starting place that I can work my way up from.

1 comment:

billy said...

Brett's post really had me thinking about what we learned this year as a whole. He talks about being an entrepreneur, and the general science of being a businessman. In his first paragraph he talks about how being an entrepreneur is something that can be very beneficial for the business owner. Then in the second paragraph i really enjoy how he discusses the small "behind the scenes" parts of the business world, for example, trades in his business. I also love how he wants to work in the NFL one day, the same as me. After looking at Brett's websites, i learned a lot about being an entrepreneur and a business man.