Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Hillary White
Professor Fleury-Lawson
Business and Society
11/29/11



While watching this film “Is Wal-Mart good for America?” I learned
a lot about Wal-Mart and its industry. The company was founded by Sam Walton in
1962, incorporated on October 31, 1969 and has been very successful I would say
since then. Wal-Mart has 8,500 stores in 15 countries, under 55 different names.
Wal-Mart is known for discount prices, in order, to keep its customers
interested and engaged in its products. They are most definitely known for their
low prices and they are very convenient for most people.
This video we watched talked about whether Wal-Mart is aiding or destroying the people in today’s economy. Wal-Mart’s everyday low prices and one stop shopping is not only
convenient for everyday shoppers, but also a stress reliever to parents and providers
as of today. I wouldn’t necessarily buy clothes or food from Wal-Mart but it
does come in handy when I need other products for a low price such as shampoo,
toothbrushes, school supplies, etc. I have also heard rumors about Wal-Mart
being called “dirty” and I think it all depends on the store itself and where
it is located. Wal-Mart also occasionally gets a bad reputation for its fight
to keep prices low. Wal-Mart is a very reliable and convenient store to most
people and I would encourage some people to shop there if they want to save a
lot of money. The FRONTLINE video regarding Wal-Mart has changed my opinion on
the store slightly, but it has not affected me to not shop there.

While watching the movie, I believe I was most surprised by how many people think that Wal-Mart is a company that is destroying society. I was also surprised on how Wal-Mart would not accept Rubbermaid’s price increases. I also learned that a lot of American companies have not benefited from Wal-Mart due to outsourcing. In class, we discussed how outsourcing hurts the American population, but if you want to survive and expand your company it is the right idea too. Overall, I think Wal-Mart should continue to outsource if they want to keep expanding because the truth is that American products are simply way to overpriced and expensive.

2 comments:

Alley Euglow said...

I thoroughly enjoyed Hillary’s Blog on the film “Is Wal-Mart Good For America”. I loved how she included the facts about the founder, Sam Walton, when it was founded, in 1962, and when it was incorporated, on October 31, 1969. I think it is fascinating that Wal-Mart now has 8,500 stores, in 15 different countries, and under 55 different names. I like how Hillary added that Wal-Mart does not only attract people because of their low prices, but also because it is convenient for people. I like how Hillary added what she does and does not buy at Wal-Mart. I found it interesting that she brought up how people who are struggling financially use Wal-Mart as their go to place, which I think is very true. Hillary and I both agreed that this FRONTLINE video has affected our opinion on Wal-Mart but we will both still shop there. We also both agreed that we found it surprising that Wal-Mart would not accept Rubbermaid’s price increases and how many American companies have not benefited due to Wal-Mart’s outsourcing. I also agree with Hillary when she said that Wal-Mart is outsourcing to allow their company to continue to expand and grow. All in all, I really enjoyed Hillary’s Blog.

Tricia Stacy said...

I agree with Hillarys input in the outsourcing that Walmart does. They sell all across the world and do it successfully. In the video I learned that they sell in South American, China, and Spain. By outsourcing, you are not only bettering your company, you are putting your name out their worldwide and judging by Walmarts income, they are doing everything right. Also I agree with Hillary when she said that Walmart is not destroying society. I believe they are using the best business techniques to have their company be the best it can be. When they use the pull system and only produce the number of products that they need at that time and save money, that to me is a smart way of running you company. The economy today is going downhill by the second and by having the low prices that Walmart has, that puts them high on the list of places to show.