Monday, October 3, 2011

Big Mac's Equal Big Business


McDonalds is easily one of the biggest if not THE biggest franchises in the world today. With this title, McDonalds faces many hardships as a business. McDonalds is constantly facing waves of complaints from critics. One complaint is the high calories and fat in their food. Although this may be a valid point, McDonalds answered this complaint by saying consumers have a choice in what they are eating. This is 100% true. Although their food is high in calories and fat they do not force anyone into buying their food. It is their business; all they care about is the consumer. People are still buying there food either way. In video, it showed how McDonalds fought this complaint. McDonalds released a whole new side of their menu, offering healthier foods including salads, apple fries, and fruits. This backs up my and McDonalds statement when I say the consumer makes the choice. As a customer, I love McDonalds. To me every thing tastes great, a Big Mac, fries, and a Coca Cola. Now many critics would disapprove of this meal, considering how many grams of calories and fat I am putting into my body. But the fact of the matter is that I am an athletic individual. I know that this food may not be the healthiest for me therefore I do not eat it as often as I want to. Maybe these critics should not go after McDonalds but go after the consumers.
McDonalds is always expanding. The more places to sell their product or food, the more money they are making. Where I am from there are 3 McDonalds within my city. Even the surrounding cities have these many also. These franchises are also strategically placed so McDonalds can make more money. Many of these McDonalds are place near busy streets or highways. It is a convenience for many who are on the go to go through the drive through to grab some quick food, hence the name “fast food”. Although this may be easy for McDonalds, they are trying to expand overseas. Not only do they have to venture over seas, they have to adjust to the culture. An example of this is Japan. As shown in the video, McDonalds ultimately changed their entire menu just to open up restaurants over seas. Foods that you would find on the American menu wouldn’t even be considered by the Japanese. Research, time, and money had to be spent to plan out how this was going to be done. This is why I believe that McDonalds is one of the best business there is. The food might not be healthy, but the customer likes it, and the customer is always right.

No comments: